Monday, January 7, 2013

Rich Chocolate Yogurt with Fresh Blackberries (P.S. It's Healthy For You)

After a fantastic visit with family and friends in Edmonton over Christmas and New Years, I'm back in Vancouver and have already made some new statement necklaces (which are available for purchase if you're interested, just send me a message) and tried a few new recipes.  

If you follow me on Pinterest you may have noticed me pinning more healthy recipes than usual.  Although I try to eat healthy, I do like to eat sweet things like cookies and cupcakes so as a little 'New Years Resolution' I've been trying to find some recipes that not only taste good but are good for you.  

This is why I am sharing with you my newest creation...Rich Chocolate Yogurt with Fresh Blackberries (or whatever yummy fruit you want to put on top).  The best thing about this recipe is that it's made with Greek Yogurt which is low in fat and high in protein.  And the beautiful thing about protein is that it actually keeps you full for longer and keeps your blood sugar stable so you don't experience the highs and lows of eating carbs, burning through them quickly, and then experiencing that awful shaky, sweaty feeling and unruly desire to scarf down as much candy as humanly possible.  I didn't know you weren't supposed to feel like this until I saw a dietician who explained to me what was going on and how I could combat this process with adding more protein to my diet.  And since I've added more protein to my meals, I feel full for longer and don't experience sugar crashes as often.  I encourage you to see a dietician if you feel like your diet could use a little tweaking (you can see one for free through a referral from a family doctor) and try to include a little more protein in your diet.  
      

























Rich Chocolate Yogurt with Fresh Blackberries
(source of inspiration for this recipe found here)
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of 0% fat Vanilla Greek Yogurt (try Liberté 0% fat Vanilla Greek Yogurt)
  • 3 Tablespoons of Cocoa Powder (You can use 2-4 Tablespoons depending on how rich you'd like it to taste)
  • 1 Tablespoon of Honey
  • 1/2 Cup of Fresh Fruit (eg. Blackberries, Strawberries, Pomegranate Seeds, etc).
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl except for the fresh fruit and mix well.  Chill the mixture in the fridge for about 30 minutes and it's ready to serve with the fresh fruit on top!  Easy peasy and it's a protein rich, healthy dessert for you!  

Did you make any 'New Years Resolutions' you're trying to keep?  Need an accountability partner ;) ?   

No comments:

Post a Comment